Woodstock 5K Recap

102_0268 (2) The 5k was this morning.  I left around 5:45 am and drove through blankets of fog.  Thankfully, the weather was kind and things didn’t heat up too much until the race was over.  It was hot, but not miserable.

This was the most fun race I’ve done…even though I didn’t think so at some points.  It started at a high school, which the school’s band playing the National Anthem.  There were tons of people lining the streets to cheer us on, including people with water hoses and misters.  There was even a “hippie” at one turn with his van blaring music.  Towards the end of the race, the football team cheered everyone on and even ran to the finish with some people. 

The first mile of the race started of good.  I was going faster than I should have, but felt steady and stayed with a group of people.  I jogged most of it, but took small walk breaks.  I got a little hung up at the water station at the end of mile 1, but felt good.  Until I saw the people in front of me were above me, as in UP A HILL!!  The hill was sort of gradual, but there was no way I was going to jog it.  At the turn up a head, I was hoping it leveled off.  It DIDN’T.  Instead is was a steeper hill.  So all of mile 2 was hills.  I walked up them and sprinted down.  But even sprinting down used too much energy because I was trying not to go too fast and really trying not to stumble and roll head first down.

During mile 2 I realized my goal of finishing in 45 minutes wasn’t going to happen.  But I still pushed it up the hills and walked as fast as I could.  The third mile still included hills, but the majority of it was level.  But, my legs had little left and I simply didn’t want to jog.  Then I looked at my watch and realized that I might could make it within 45 minutes if I pushed.  So I jogged some and walked as fast as I could go.  Then, I saw the banner saying the finish was close.  The problem was that the banner was at the top of the biggest hill yet. Damn those race designers.  Here is where the football players helped motivate, encourage, and flat out push people up the hill.  I jogged some and then simply couldn’t anymore.  As we topped the hill, we hit the 3 mile mark and only had .1 left.  I looked at my watch and couldn’t believe it was less than 40 minutes.  I could make it in under 40 but only if I ran the final part.  So I sprinted and finished in 39:16.06 according to my garmin and 39:16 chip time (how’s that for the garmin’s accuracy).  I honestly have no idea how it happened.  I was exhausted and totally spent but beyond excited.

Here’s the info from garmin:

Distance:  3.12    Total Time:  39:16

  • Mile 1:  11:38
  • Mile 2:  13:41
  • Mile 3:  13:05
  • .12:         :49

Average Pace:  12:35

So, I set a PR and destroyed my goal even with those nasty hills.


~ by Mary Frances on August 7, 2010.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: